Welcome
Welcome to spectrumville2pirateversion

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

A random fact about yourself

For any topic not covered elsewhere

Post Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:44 pm

Re: A random fact about yourself

craziest people I ever met:

A woman who talked about how she had sold a house she inherited to a celebrity, but they had hacked her account and stolen her money. Now they were conspiring against her and the prime minister was in on it and wanted to kill her. Finally she didn't dare go home because they were waiting for her.
She also thought her neighbors were from another dimension and monitored her or her thoughts.
This woman also had a smile was just so wrong.
She was creepy and scary and when I saw her I made sure to not turn my back to her.

Another woman whose dog attacked mine. She refused to let me go into my own home with my dog so I could clean up his wound, and also grabbed my arm so it left a bruise. I still regret not turning the b**** in. This was in 2004.
A couple of years later or so her dog was taken from her due to her neglect of him. A little later she was on our door and demanded to get him back, as 'kids had told her they had seen a black dog on our veranda'. She stood outside and called on him. My father asked if she was dumb, thinking we had him when he didn't get along with our dog at all. I laughed at her through the door. Yeah, I can be vindictive. I have no regrets. :twisted:
She had also pushed her way in to one of our neighbors with the same story and demanded to see their dog (who although black furred was another breed entirely).

A man I passed by in NYC who stood at a strange angle and took off his pants.

A dirty looking woman begging for money who shouted at a woman that she had yellow staphylococcus but she was sure she didn't give a hoot about that. She went away muttering to herself.

Another weirdo who muttered something and stroked my hair when I passed her by coming out from the subway station.

While waiting for the subway I saw and heard a man coming into the station area and babbling about how much he hated the west and how much he despised the emigrants who had gone to the US.
It's always very uncomfortable to be around people acting like that. I was relieved when he got on a subway and was gone.

A boy in my elementary school class. He stole, lied and always got in trouble. He once brought a knife to school and according to a teacher who questioned him, he had threatened a first grader with it. He refused to take up his books when our teacher told us to and she used a lot of time just to try to get him to do what he was supposed to do in class.
We were collectively fed up with him, and I was relieved when his family moved.

Of course, the looniest people I've ever come across were the complete and utter POS who did something completely inexcusable and thought I would have anything to do with them afterwards. Now, that's loony.

On the bus several years ago, there were only a few seats free. Unfortunately one of them were next to me, and that's where this young woman, probably in her 20's, sat down. She started singing a children's song and clapped her hands and giggled. Then her phone rang and she took it and said she'd be there in about half an hour. She hung up and started singing and clapping her hands again.

An old man with a prosthetic leg. He sat on the ground with his leg taken off lying next to him, and he shouted something in a language I don't know and spat after people.
You'll notice that a turtle only makes progress when it sticks out its neck...

"And the turtles, of course...all the turtles are free, as turtles and, maybe, all creatures should be." — Dr. Seuss
http://turtleforum.freeforums.org/index.php

Post Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:28 pm

I am very quiet in nearly all situations. The main reason is that I just don't have a lot to say. If I do have something to say, I don't usually have any problems saying it.
In addition I am content to hearing something, think about what I think about it (an inner monologue) and have no need to say it aloud to those around me.

The only person I am fairly talkative with is my mother, and that often comes down to inside jokes and every day discussions. She's also the only person I have the need to share things with.

I've heard quite a bit in my life that I'm too quiet. No, I just don't fill quiet with nonsense talk with acquaintances.

We have some snow but mostly icy roads here. I don't mind the dark at all, and the winters don't generally get that cold anymore (and when they do it's only for a few days). We usually just see a few degrees below 0 C.
But I hate hate hate the icy roads. Whether they're icy due to hard stomped snow or actual ice is irrelevant. I fall or at best slide uncontrollably equally good. And of course the one who is in charge of scattering pebbles on the roads around the residential area does a lousy job of it every year.
That is the part of winter I really hate. I would love to see good rain come and wash away all the snow and ice from the roads (and not freeze at night).
The power bill is always high because our "dear" government is so preoccupied with selling cheap power to Europe and take us Norwegians with our relatively cold winters to the cleaners.
I don't like what the cold weather does to my asthma and my skin either.

I neither like or dislike traveling. It's just a means to an end. When we went on holiday when I was a kid, I liked traveling by boat and plane (still enjoy that a lot) but the destination was usually just okay. When I went on vacation in my adult life to NYC, I enjoyed it very much as it was all about planes, interesting places and cheap books. It's by far the best vacation I've gone on so far.
But I don't see any point in traveling just to be traveling. A road trip as a vacation is not an idea I would come up with.
There are places i would love to go because there is something I wanna do there. Our first time in NYC, the main goal for me at least was the plane ride (Concorde!). I also dream of volunteering to help turtles in a turtle hospital, patrol turtle beaches for new nests, and visit two specific wolf parks.

I agree with a mix of left and right views and disagree with a lot of what they stand for. I also have causes not covered by any of the (quite numerous) political parties we have. I most definitely do not consider myself a leftist or a conservative. In the past I saw myself as green but even The Green Party has some views I strongly disagree with. I stopped voting a long time ago, as I am just far too divided on the package of views they come with to stand behind any of the parties. It's a mystery to me that so many people appear to pick their side somewhat easily, apparently finding the divide reasonable.
The only thing that could get me to vote was if there was a referendum about something, or a list of issues one could vote for or against.

"And the turtles, of course...all the turtles are free, as turtles and, maybe, all creatures should be." — Dr. Seuss

Post Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:43 am

I turned 5 in 1982. My favorite toys at the time were a long limbed teddy bear called Daniel and two long limbed foxes called Lise and Nina. Even though the foxes were different, I had taken scissors and cut the whiskers off one of them to tell them apart. I wasn't even supposed to have them both, two were bought so there was a spare but I was there when the package arrived and was far too curious to leave.

Our 3 hamsters died when I was 5. My baby sitter told me about guinea pigs and how much larger they were than hamsters. She also made me a very strange meal; hot dog buns friend in frying pan and then put chocolate smear on it. I liked it, but my parents hated it as it was hard to get the frying pan clean afterwards. My father dumbly told me to tell her not to do that. As if! I knew a 10 year old would never listen to a 5 year old so I didn't even try.
Once some boys she knew snuck in with water guns. They were boys and big and loud so they scared me even though they were only targeting her. A few times she babysat me along with a boy half my age. He was a real pain. I couldn't stand him due to his behavior. One day I got even. We were at his place and I would pick up a toy to play with. He'd rip it from me shouting "mine!". He'd continue doing that until I stopped trying to play with his toys. Then he'd continue to pinch me and pull my hair. He was so much younger than me that I couldn't do anything to him. I knew all about not hitting someone smaller than me, and it made sense to me. When he came to my place with the babysitter (believe me, I'd never invite him!), he brought some of his toys. One of them ended up under a chair (honestly not my doing), and I covered it. He pointed and cried and I played innocent of course, and even promised the babysitter to let her know if the toy turned up. I still have that little chopper! :mrgreen: :lol:

My mother, maternal grandparents and I went on vacation to a hut on the mountainside that year, and I saw sheep for the first time but never up close as I didn't have the patience to approach them slowly. We watched a black and white travel TV there. I watched the children's show "Tre-fire-fem" (better known as "Labbetuss") in black and white which was strange to me as I was used to color TV.

In the summer of 1982 there was a bomb on a train station in Oslo, and a woman was killed. I was in the living room while my father watched the TV news. My mother had taken the train to work and I was very scared and cried and asked him if it was her who had been killed. He said no and I relaxed.

The school year 1982/1983 I attended a daycare called Femårsklubben. It was meant to be for 5-year olds, but only two of us were 5, the rest of the kids were 4 and one was 3. I didn't know any of the kids there, they all lived in the same residential area which wasn't the same as mine. There was a set of identical twins there, and I couldn't tell them apart at all, but their best friend could. She called them by name and it never ceased to amaze me. One day I stumbled and fell and hit a chair and got a black eye. I thought it was awesome of course and mad sure to jump out to my mother before the aunts had a chance to tell her. She was startled by my eye of course, which was what I was going for.
My favorite game in that daycare was when they put the two large tables together and split us into two teams, usually boys vs girls. One team would crawl under the tables and one team would be on top of the tables and try to catch the ones under the table when they poked out. I'm sure a game like that would never be allowed today :roll:

One day my mother came to pick me up from daycare, she was accompanied by a girl 2 years older than me. I knew her from around the neighborhood but didn't play much with her. I was immediately pouting. I didn't want her to be there so I walked well behind them pouting all the way home. She even came home with us. I was usually chatty with my mom, but I don't think I said an entire sentence while she was there. I was jealous and also didn't like her that much.
On the other hand when one of my grandparents made a surprise visit and picked me up, I was always over the moon. Once I got so excited about it that I hurried home in my joy (way too fast for him to keep up with me) and left my rucksack there and ran out again to meet up with him and then go home together. (The daycare wasn't very far away, so I knew the way well).

Post Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:46 am

I have used the terms sir and mam when I speak English; in some situations it just comes natural to me. I wish we used them in Norwegian as well.

When I was younger I always used "De" and "Dem" (the equivalent of the German Sie) when addressing strange adults, and still do at times when addressing old people. It's just respectful and feels natural to me.

I haven't often been called mam, but the few times I did, it felt good, it made me feel more dignified.

I think it's a pity that these forms are on the way out.

Previous

Return to Random