Welcome
Welcome to spectrumville2pirateversion

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Perfect jobs that don't exist any more

Post Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:35 am

Perfect jobs that don't exist any more

The coming of computer technology has ruined a lot of good jobs.

Movie theater projectionist
Journalist (all the physical papers are in decline)
Car mechanic used to be about mechanics, now it''s more about computer engineering.

Even librarians are more about helping people get on computers today than it is about books.

And don't get me started on the wonderful job of lighthouse keeper. It'd be perfect for me. If all the lighthouses hadn't been automated by the early 1990's. It was my dream when I was in my early teens and started thinking more seriously about a career. I loved the idea of the alone-time while doing something important to help boats and ships. I've always liked boats, so it was such a perfect combination.

Another awesome job would be something I saw on a TV-show some years ago, where a young girl had a seasonal job on a remote part of a train track, working the railroad switch. In between those hours she could do what she wanted, without anyone bugging her. Sigh....

A lot of jobs that would be perfect for us, and no doubt were held to large degree by aspies in the past, are now gone. The very tool that has improved our daily lives works against us in term of employment...
You'll notice that a turtle only makes progress when it sticks out its neck...

"And the turtles, of course...all the turtles are free, as turtles and, maybe, all creatures should be." — Dr. Seuss
http://turtleforum.freeforums.org/index.php

Post Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:37 am

Re: Perfect jobs that don't exist any more

In some ways I both fear getting a job and never getting a job.

Pro: Money and feeling that I'm contributing.

Con: The only jobs I have a chance at I wouldn't want for several reasons, and I can't live with a boring/poor fit job and enjoy the companionship of my colleagues, like most NTs can. It would mean misery. I also dread losing my precious spare time as I love having all this free time. I need to either do something I'm truly interested in, or have a lot of me-time.
You'll notice that a turtle only makes progress when it sticks out its neck...

"And the turtles, of course...all the turtles are free, as turtles and, maybe, all creatures should be." — Dr. Seuss
http://turtleforum.freeforums.org/index.php

Return to Employment